He Must Have Done The Math

This afternoon my son competed in his first ever drum competition finals.
There were 12 people in his division.
He beat them.
That’s right. My son was the winner!
The Winner!
Even though I thought he was the best, I had no idea what the judges would think. So, when they called his name, I screamed so loud. Then I apologized to the man sitting next to me for busting out his ear drums. And then I cried because MY SON WON.
I know how much this competition meant to him. I also know how he struggles with his confidence at times. So this win was huge on both fronts.
I’m happy to share his winning performance with you. Thanks to all of you who showed your support to him on this blog and on twitter. You’re the best.
But Ethan’s the best at drumming. Har.
( I apologize for the awful videography. I had The Nervous Shakes.)

62 thoughts on “He Must Have Done The Math

1. Felicia

wow!!! that was great! great job!!! Keep up the awesome work! You did great! So, are you going to buy more drum sticks with your prize money?
    Great Job Ethan!

2. JoAnn

WOW!!!! How old is he??? That was AWESOME!! I am always so amazed by drummers. How their foot and hands are doing different things at the same time just blows me away. He should be very proud! And you too Mom!

3. Nicki

Yay, Ehtan! Keep practicing. Follow your passions. And you will always be successful.
    And nice job, proud mama. You sure do know how to raise some talented kids. They are such a joy and a blessing, aren’t they?

4. Erica

Very cool! Congratulations. I think it is so amazing that kids can get up in front of people and do stuff like that. If I had to do that I would have a nervous breakdown on the spot.

5. Ryley

Congratulations Ethan!!!!
    That is so awesome, what an amazing drummer. And what a proud moment!
    Can’t wait to hear what he plan on spending his $300 on!! :)

6. Kelly

That is amazing! Even when you are really good, your first competition can be a challenge because all of the new pressures. Good show Ethan!

7. RachelJ

CONGRATS to him! We can tell our kids over and over how wonderful they are, but this kind of reinforcement means so very much to them.

8. Denise

That’s so cool! Go Ethan!!!!! WHOO-HOO!
    I think you should splurge on some bean dip to celebrate! (just playing along with your title. I promise I’m not one of the haters!) PS drumming looks super hard and I’m really impressed with anyone who does it well, like Ethan!

9. Denise

That’s so cool! Go Ethan!!!!! WHOO-HOO!

10. Erin

I am de-lurking (after several years: I am shy) to say GO ETHAN! And Congratulations, Y! And also, I wish *I* knew how to take a video, upload it to the internet and share it with YOU, because my thirteen month old is LOVING Ethan’s beats, and has watched this video over and over, “dancing” to it the whole time. :)

11. kris

I’m excited and proud — cannot even imagine what you are feeling! Experiencing joy with your children in these kinds of ways must be amazing. How lovely.

12. Andrea

Sooooo happy for you Ethan!!!
    I love to see someone be well-paid for a high skill level! He so deserves it! I hope he goes on and on with what he loves in life.
    Congratulations!

13. heartfull

Awesome! Super talent!
    I know nothing about drumming – is it all improvised? Or does he have a general idea of what he is going to do in what order, or does he have something pretty much memorized?
    I want to show this to my son, but then I don’t. I don’t know if I could take the practicing.